Friday 11 March 2011

Into Lent.

I'm not sure if this is a Holy Lent yet - it sure is beginning as a busy one! Yesterday (Ash Wednesday) was a working day but I simply skipped brekkie and lunch, nibbled a cheese sarnie in the RC Cathedral cafe on the way home, purchasing some Lent material to fuel my devotions.  Evening Prayer was followed by High Mass and Ashing at St Michael's, a late but tasty supper of smoked fish and rice and Compline.  Today was work then the blessing of the Holy Hut (the Emmaus House Chapel) by +Brian.  Festal munching followed - well, in Scotland it is the Solemnity of St John Ogilvie (nice pikkie of his national Shrine in the Jesuit Church in Garnethill, Glasgow below).  I know it's really an RC festival, but he wouldn't have been martyred if the Pisky Archbishop of Glasgow hadn't insisted on it, so I claim a share of his festival for usage!  In a faintly Lenten spirit, I stuck to Lemon and dill poached salmon, potato salad, roasted vegetable and goats cheese pizza, fruit salad and apple juice.  I haven't eaten meat so far this Lent but this is purely conincidental.

 

My personal lenten discipline will be to try and read daily bible notes and do the Stations of the Cross every Friday.  This, I hope, will deepen my journey.  Anyone else out there up to anything more exciting?  (If it involves flagellation, you're probably taking this whole penance thing far too seriously - the blood that should be shed is Christ's not yours.)

No comments:

Post a Comment