Tuesday 7 February 2012

Praying when tired.


When it's late and I haven't had time to do any evening office (like when I'm on the backshift), I sometimes opt for prayers with less words and more pictures:-).  Or to put it another way, I find when I'm tired the Daily Office can simply involve too may unfamiliar words and phrases - variable psalms and canticles etc.  Something utterly familiar which I can do with my eyes shut is a blessing.  Being me, the tangible nature of the rosary (beads running soothingly through your fingers) commends itself and also the fact that it uses a few familiar prayers and no more than 5 "pictures from the scriptures" in any given decade.

I was interested to discover that there is another way to start the Rosary than the one i was taught using the Apostle's Creed.  it's the Domincan method. The Dominicans follow the medieval custom of beginning the Rosary like the Office of the Blessed Virgin Mary - the Rosary being known as Mary’s prayer.

Let us pray.
In the Name of the Father, and of the Son, 
and of the Holy Spirit,
Amen.

V.  Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee.
R.  Blessed art though amongst women and
     blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus.

V.  Lord, open my lips. +
R.  And my mouth will proclaim your praise.

V.  God come to my aid.
R.  Lord make haste to help me.

V.  Glory to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit,
R.  As it was in the beginning, is now, and will be forever. Amen.
(Alleluia.) (Praise be to Thee, O Lord, King of everlasting glory.)
 
It makes life a bit easier when you're tired.  Worth a try perhaps?

No comments:

Post a Comment